Monday, August 23, 2010

Are yard sales really worth the effort?

This past weekend Mom and I decided to have a yard sale.

Let me start by saying, I used to be the yard sale Queen, I could throw together a yard sale in thirty minutes just by grabbing stuff the kids had out grown, and things I longer needed or wanted. I normally made between eighty and two hundred dollars at these quickie last minute sales.
Lately I've been watching shows about hoarders, they have the messiest homes in the world. I feared I might be televised next, so I decided to completely go thru the house and get rid of all the dust collecting piles of crap (stuff).
I started two weeks ago, going through each room, reorganizing and finding a ton of stuff get rid of. I was feeling better about the house and the fact that I was gonna make a small fortune this time.
I even helped Mom go through her house. It was exhausting, all those boxes and knick knacks to clean, it felt like I was preparing to move.

We decided to have the sale Friday and Saturday. Thursday night we made yard sale posters and hung them up all over town.
I got up early on Friday, grabbed some coffee, then drove to moms. We set up the yard sale and then waited, waited some more and began to wonder if someone stole all our signs.
Finally around 9:30 a.m., a lady stopped by and bought $1.50 worth of junk.
By the end of the day Mom made $9.50,  I made 45 cents.

I decided to make more signs that night and post them everywhere I could think of. The next day we had more customers, Mom made 20 bucks and I made $50.
I suppose that's not bad, but it looked like 90 percent of the items were still there.
If you ever decide to have a yard sale let me give you a great piece of advice; Don't ever have it on the 3rd weekend of the month when everyone is broke. Have it with in the first 2 weeks while they still have some spending money left.

I was bummed I didn't make more but I am happy to have less stuff in my house. =)

No comments:

Post a Comment