Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Pickle & Dryer Dilemmas

I went to the farmers market today and bought cucumbers. Then I went shopping for canning supplies and spices.  Sixty dollars later I wondered what I was getting myself into. I had planned to make homemade pickles this morning, but thanks to a hap hazard laundry situation, it was delayed.

I had two loads of laundry. The first load was an old burgundy colored afghan belonging to my teenage daughter, and the other load was a new set of cheap towels that my mother-in-law decided I needed.
Washed the afghan first, got ready to throw it in the dryer and noticed there were some small pieces of it left in the washer. I scooped them out and tossed them in the trash. Then I started washing the towels while the afghan was drying.
20 minutes later I opened to the dryer to a bunch of red shreds, the lint holder filled past capacity and spilling into the circular vent.
I got out the vacuum and dryer vent brush and went to work on the dryer. After twenty minutes or so,  the vent was as clean as I could get it. I started to remove the towels from the washer and noticed
tiny balls of fluff all over the inside of the washer. I took the wet towels outside and shook them out as best I could before putting them in the dryer. I then proceeded to clean out the washer.

While the towels dried, I canned the homemade pickles. I ended up with eight jars to give to friends and family. This is my first attempt at canning. Hopefully no-one gets botulism or dysentery. When the dryer buzzed that it was done, I pulled towels out and of course, the lint holder was filled to capacity.

I need a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment